Don’t worry if you can’t manage your BitLocker recovery keys, you’re not the only one. What exactly are these keys? They are used to restore access to an encrypted drive.
There are several reasons why this would happen. Here are some six of them:
- You may have forgotten your PIN. Don’t panic just yet. The “Reset Your Password” option should appear on the screen.BitTruster can also help manage your PIN.
- An attack might’ve been detected.
- Don’t press the F8 or F10 keys. This might’ve been useful before, but it’s not on newer versions of Windows.
- If you inserted a CD or a DVD, then that might’ve also been the problem. This might also break your device, so be careful.
- Don’t change the Basic Input/Output System (BIOS). This is not an issue on every device, though.
- Don’t dock or undock a computer when BitLocker is on.
If the damage is done, try to fix it. Don’t worry, you can regain access again. Here’s how:
- Use your recovery password
- Use a data recovery drive
- Contact a domain administrator to unlock it
You can recover your password, but first you’ll need to retrieve it. You should always write down your password. If you didn’t, then you’ll need to access the Active Directory Domain Services (ADDS).
You can look for it in the search bar. There, you will find the required settings to find the password. This process doesn’t have to be so hard. BitTruster can also manage your password and help keep it safe.
So, you have found the password. Now it’s time to recover. Don’t be afraid to contact anyone who can help, this doesn’t have to be a one person job.
If you did write the recovery key down, then you can regain access. The screen might lock down if you enter the incorrect key several times.
So, you did whatever you could to recover BitLocker. You may now wonder why it entered recovery mode to begin with. You will need to check the state of the computer. Check all steps above to do this.
There are a lot of things that you need to know about BitLocker, but that still doesn’t have to be tiring.
If you want to go into further detail and learn more about BitLocker recovery, you can do that here.