The CCPA is the best privacy act in the U.S., but for which state?
Many businesses have to comply with the CCPA rules. But, that shouldn’t be too hard. We can help you figure out how you can do that.
But first, how can you make sure that your business is affected by the CCPA? And, what kind of business do you need to be in the first place? Let’s take a look:
Which Businesses Does the CCPA Affect?
One thing that you have to know is that the CCPA affects companies that are either:
- Within California
- Do business that affects California residents
That’s where your business needs to be in order to be affected by the CCPA. As to what kind of business you need to be, you need to fit into at least one of these criteria:
- Has an annual gross revenues of over $25 million
- Collects, buys, or sells the personal information of at least 50,000 consumers, devices, or households.
- Derives 50% or more of annual revenue from consumer data sales.
But, these criteria apply to the companies that are either within California or do business that affects California residents.
Do other U.S. states feel the effects of the CCPA? Well, both yes and no. Here, we’ll explain why:
What About Other U.S. States?
You shouldn’t be surprised to learn that some of the biggest organizations in the U.S. have been trying to get other people to feel the benefits that the CCPA offers.
Why would people want to feel these benefits? Well, that’s because these benefits include:
- The right to know when a business is collecting your personal data, as well as why they’re doing it.
- The right to ask businesses to stop collecting your personal data and delete the data that they have already collected.
- The right to opt-out of the sale of your personal data
- The right to prevent businesses from ever discriminating against you for exercising your rights.
It’s no wonder why other U.S. residents would want to feel these benefits. And, luckily for them, they can now do that.
As we said earlier, some of the biggest organizations in the U.S. are trying to do that. These organizations include:
And, they’re not the only ones. There are still so many other companies that are trying to do the same thing.
The reason why they want to do this is because they don’t want any customer to feel excluded. They don’t want the customers to feel like the company is playing favourites.
More often than not, these companies will be present when Congress passes federal laws. That way, they can lean in and give their opinion regarding the people that these laws affect.
Data-collecting businesses can also benefit from this. The more customers a business has, the more successful it can become. That sure does seem like a dream come true!
Safer Under the CCPA
You can be safer under the CCPA. Everyone can, including businesses.
All your business needs to do is comply, encrypt and manage data using BitLocker and BitTruster, and work hard to keep your customers happy.
And, we can help you do that. We can show you why complying is so important, and why your business can benefit from doing it!